Igor Gantsevich – Coach, Mentor, Entrepreneur
Cell: 778 862 8467
Personal Website: www.igfencing.ca
Igor Gantsevich is a lifelong fencer, a longstanding member of the international Fencing community, and a pioneer of Youth Fencing development. He has been a mainstay in the international Fencing scene for the past 15 years, competing at the highest levels on the Canadian National Team from 2004 to 2013.
In his nearly decade long career as an elite athlete and Canadian National Team member, Igor enjoyed success at the highest levels including a Bronze Medal at the 2011 PanAM Games and championships at Provincial, National, North American and PanAmerican Championships. The culmination of his dedication and hard work came in 2008 when he played a critical role in securing Canada a Medal at a World Cup event (International Grand Prix), the first of its kind in Canadian history.
In 2012 Igor sustained a career ending wrist injury which, in hindsight, was a blessing in disguise. This turn of events allowed Igor to direct his energy and passion to his true calling: establish Canada as a world power in the sport of Fencing. Igor set out on this mission by focusing on grass roots Youth development and creating a base of Canadian Youth Fencing that will grow into Olympic caliber athletes.
Igor Gantsevich has quickly became a major force in the development of Fencing in Canada and throughout the world. He is widely considered a visionary for his relentless commitment to building Fencers from the ground up, ensuring that they achieve the same success in life that they do in athletics.
Igor is currently the president of Dynamo Fencing Club and the Head Coach of the West Vancouver Premier Fencing Academy. Over the past Ten (10) years, Igor has introduced over 50,000 Youth to the sport of fencing across the lower mainland of British Columbia. As a result, he now instructs over 500 full time students on a weekly basis. The same dedication and passion that he applied during competition, Igor now applies to shaping Canada’s next generation of elite fencers with the ultimate goal bringing home Canada’s first Olympic Medal in Fencing.
Career Competitive Highlights:
- 2008 World Cup Team Medalist (First in Canadian History) – Montreal Grand Prix
- 2011 Pan Am Games Bronze Medalist – Team Men’s Epee
- 2008 Pan American Team Champion
- 2010, 2011 Pan American Team – Silver Medalist
- 2011 Pan Am Games – Team Member
- 2007 Junior World Cup Finalist
- 2010 Grand Prix Top 32
North American Cup:
- 2014 DIV 1 Team NAC – 1st Place
- 2010 DIV 1 NAC – 2nd Place
- 2010 DIV 1 NAC – Finalist
- 2006, 2007, 2008 Junior NAC – Finalist
National and Provincial:
- 2014 Team Nationals Champion
- 2008 Senior National Champion (CSC)
- 2008 Junior National Champion
- 2005 Cadet National Champion
- Over 20 time (Gold, Silver and Bronze) National Chamionships or CSC (Canadian Selection Circuit) Medalist
- 2007 Senior Provincial Champion